Top
Millennium Post

China defends latest Ladakh incursion

Virtually defending the latest incursion by the PLA in the Chumar sector inLadakh, China Wednesday said its troops were patrolling on its side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and asserted that ‘status quo’ should not be changed pending a final settlement.

‘I have seen the relevant reports but I am not aware of the specific situation’, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told a media briefing when asked about the incident that took place ahead of defence minister A K Antony’s visit here last week. ‘Chinese Defence forces have been patrolling along the Chinese side of the LAC of the China-India border’, she said. ‘The general situation in the border areas is stable. We have the consensus that pending the final settlement of the boundary question no one of us (none from India or China) should change the status quo along the LAC’, she said, indirectly asserting that neither side should resort to any infrastructure development.

‘China would like to make joint efforts with the Indian side to safeguard peace and tranquillity of the border areas’, Hua said. The incident took place on 17 June when the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) troops intruded into the Chumar sector in Ladakh and smashed some bunkers.
Agencies

Agencies

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Next Story
Share it