Centre okays Rs 515 cr grant to develop Sagar Port in Bengal
Government on Tuesday said it has given the green signal for grant of Rs 515 crore for the development of Sagar Port in West Bengal.
“The Central Government has given in-principle approval to a grant of Rs 515 crores to make the development of the proposed Sagar Port project in West Bengal financially viable,” Ministry of Shipping said in a statement.
A Special Purpose Vehicle -- Bhor Sagar Port Limited (BSPL) -- has been incorporated for the implementation of the project, with Kolkata Port Trust holding 74 per cent equity and the Government of West Bengal holding the remaining 26 per cent.
IIT Madras has been engaged to prepare a detailed project report (DPR) for the port, involving studies for shore protection, land reclamation and physical modeling for use of dredge material.
The work of preparing the DPR is underway.Work is also underway for developing port connectivity.
A road-cum-rail bridge is proposed over the river Muri ganga to connect the Sagar island to the mainland.
“National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (NHIDCL) has prepared the DPR for this road-cum-rail bridge. The estimated cost of the bridge is Rs 1,822 crore,” the statement said.
Further, the connectivity of this road-cum-rail bridge to the National Highways network and the railway network has also been taken up, it said.
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has agreed in-principle, to take up widening of NH-117 to four-lane one from Kakdwip to Joka and up to the rail-cum-road bridge to the Sagar Island.
The Railway Board has sanctioned a survey for determining the alignment to connect the port with the mainland rail network.
- 25 Jan 2020 5:27 PM GMT
- 26 Dec 2019 6:15 PM GMT
- 22 Aug 2019 6:17 PM GMT
- 31 Aug 2019 1:38 PM GMT
- 25 Oct 2017 3:32 PM GMT
- 21 Feb 2020 7:00 AM GMT
- 21 Feb 2020 6:49 AM GMT
- 21 Feb 2020 6:46 AM GMT
- 21 Feb 2020 6:44 AM GMT
- 21 Feb 2020 6:26 AM GMT