Census: Capital’s sex ratio alarmingly low at 896
However, <g data-gr-id="31">the The</g> Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) in Delhi is lower than the national average of 909 and also much below than its peak of 1004 in the year 2008.
“Out of 3.74 lakhs total registered births in Delhi in 2014, 1.77 lakh (47.26 percent ) were female and remaining 1.97 lakhs (52.74 percent) were male,”said Manish Sisodia, Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi releasing the Annual Report on Registration of Birth & Death in Delhi in 2014.
The poor performance of Delhi in terms of sex ratio at birth was also evident in the Census Report 2011 which put it at 866 females per 1,000 males, putting Delhi among worst-performing states and Union Territories. In 2011, Census average sex ratio of India was 940 per 1,000 population. The maximum SRB of Delhi was recorded at 1004, in the Civil Registration System for the year 2008.
Since then it went gradually down to 886 in 2012. It was recorded at 915 in 2009, 901 in 2010, and 893 in 2011. According to claims of the government, the rise in figures in 2008 was due to government’s Ladli scheme which assured a monetary grant for every such registration.
The SRB report of Delhi is prepared on the basis of birth registered in 50 major hospitals which accounts for around 51 percent of total registered births besides survey of non-institutional births in the city.
As per the data released on Thursday, the birth rate in Delhi was recorded at 20.88 which is very close to the national average of 21.4.
The national growth rate of population in Delhi in 2014 was 14.11 which is also very close to <g data-gr-id="37">national</g> average of 14.4. The institutional birth in Delhi have increased from 3.02 lakhs(81.75 percent) in 2013 to 3.10 lakhs (82.83 percent) in the year 2014. Moreover, about 66 <g data-gr-id="27">per cent</g> of institutional births occurred in the government hospitals and 34 <g data-gr-id="28">per cent</g> in private hospitals. The average number of birth per day in Delhi worked out to 1024 in the year 2014 as compared to 1014 in 2013. The average number of deaths per day worked out to be 332 during the year 2014.
The death rate per thousand population worked out to 6.77 during the year 2014. Sisodia also informed that the Infant Mortality Rate per thousand live births has reduced from 22.37 in 2013 to 21.66 in 2014. According to the report, a maximum 8.92 percent people died due to Septicaemia followed by 5.83 percent due to Tuberculosis and around four per cent due to Pulmonary circulation related diseases.
- 25 Jan 2020 5:27 PM GMT
- 26 Dec 2019 6:15 PM GMT
- 22 Aug 2019 6:17 PM GMT
- 31 Aug 2019 1:38 PM GMT
- 25 Oct 2017 3:32 PM GMT
- 19 Feb 2020 6:30 PM GMT
- 19 Feb 2020 6:28 PM GMT
- 19 Feb 2020 6:26 PM GMT
- 19 Feb 2020 6:26 PM GMT
- 19 Feb 2020 6:25 PM GMT