The ongoing ceasework by lawyers of the sub-divisional court will continue till November 19, Safiur Rahaman, secretary, Pleader and Advocate Bar Association said on Wednesday.
The association is observing ceasework from Monday to protest against the “rough attitude and misbehaviour of the Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Haimantika Shurdas.
Rahaman said that the association demanded transfer of the additional Chief Judicial Magistrate. “The way she talks to the advocates is uncalled for. Earlier, she had problem with us and we requested her not to use such harsh words to senior advocates. For quite some time she behaved normally. Last week she again misbehaved with some lawyers and used abusive words. We demand her transfer immediately.”
As a result of the ceasework many important cases could not be taken up and the litigants are greatly inconvenienced. Probal Das, a litigant said because of the ceasework, his case could not be taken up. “The hearing is in the final stage and because of the ceasework I really do not know the when matter will come up again. We are really in a dark. Why should the common people who come to the court seeking justice suffer.”
Mukul Mahato, another litigant maintained:”As thousands of cases are lying pending in the courts the lawyers should understand this and should not resort to ceasework that affect common people badly. I seek intervention of the state government in the matter so that the impasse is resolved.”