Building collapse: SDMC panel directs filing of FIR against DJB
The Chairman of SDMC’s standing committee on Tuesday directed the municipal commissioner to start work on lodging an FIR against the Delhi Jal Board (DJB), which the civic body alleges is “responsible” for the collapse incident in West Delhi last week, in which five persons died.
“The collapse took place due to weakening of the building’s foundation, caused by seepage in sewer line laid by the DJB...We therefore directed the commissioner to begin the work on lodging an FIR against the DJB,” Standing Committee Chairman Radhey Shyam Sharma said.
Despite allegations from the AAP that has held the SDMC responsible for the mishap, the civic body has maintained that it was “all DJB’s fault”.
The chairman also said that an inquiry will be conducted into the incident under the supervision of Additional Commissioner to look into the facts and will submit a report on roles of various departments, the DJB, and any lapses, on part of the civic officials will also “not be overlooked”.
The Opposition, however has held both the SDMC and the DJB responsible for the accident. “Without SDMC’s permission, DJB had started sewer work in that area which led to damage of the pipe resulting in seepage of water in the area. This further lead to weakening of the foundation of the 25-year-old building and a subsequent collapse...Both the SDMC and DJB officials are responsible for this act of negligence which claimed 5 innocent lives”, alleged Congress councillor and Leader of Opposition Farhad Suri.
He also alleged that “the Delhi government (under which the DJB falls) and the BJP-led civic bodies are “together playing politics”.
The four-storeyed building in Vishnu Garden area in SDMC’s West Zone, had collapsed on the night of July 18 leaving five people including a 9-year-old girl dead and eight others injured.