Millennium Post

British filmmaker set to face legal action

British filmmaker set to face legal action
Amid uproar in Parliament over a documentary, which featured one of the December 16 gang-rape convicts, the Home Ministry on Wednesday went into damage control mode, saying orders were obtained from court to restrain the broadcast of the documentary and promising to investigate how permission was given to interview the rapist.

The issue was raised in both houses of Parliament, as members cutting across party lines asked the government to stop the telecast of the documentary saying it insulted women.

“Our government condemns the incident of December 16, 2012 in the strongest possible terms and
will not allow any attempt by any individual, group or organisation to leverage such unfortunate incidents for commercial benefits,” Home Minister Rajnath Singh said in a statement in both houses of Parliament on Wednesday.

“In what condition this order was given I have asked for full information on that. In future, no one will be given permission to interview rapists,” the home minister said, as both houses saw members protest against the documentary.

Rajnath Singh said the permission for the documentary was granted in 2013, adding that the documentary maker violated the conditions on which the permission was granted.

 Meanwhile, in a late night development, BBC advanced telecast of the controversial documentary on the December 16 gang-rape to Wednesday night.

Sushilkumar Shinde, who was the Home Minister in 2013, however, said he was not responsible for it.

“I had not given any permission to make a documentary on the Nirbhaya case. It was not given by me. I observed the conversation in Parliament, Rajnath Singh has not mentioned my name. It must have been given by somebody, I do not know,” Shinde told reporters on Wednesday.

Making similar statements in both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, the home minister said orders were obtained from court Tuesday night to restrain the broadcast of the documentary. A Delhi court on Wednesday directed continuation of the ban on the telecast of the documentary. Rajnath Singh said he was personally hurt when he got to know about the documentary.

“I would like to make it clear. As soon as I got to know about this incident, I was personally hurt. I immediately talked to the concerned authorities and gave instructions that it should not be telecast in any condition, and orders were taken from court last night (Tuesday) that whatever has been telecast should not be released,” he said.

Next Story
Share it