logo

‘Bravo, Pollard omission no victimisation’

‘Bravo, Pollard omission no victimisation’
West Indies chief cricket selector Clive Lloyd has said the omission of Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard from the ICC World Cup squad is no act of victimisation for their roles in the controversial abandoned tour of India.

Bravo and Pollard were not named in the 15-man squad announced to contest the World Cup which bowls off in Australia and New Zealand Feb 14, reports CMC.

Speaking on Sportsmaz Zone on Monday night, Lloyd the chairman of selectors, defended the decision not to select the two Trinidadian cricketers, insisting that it was not victimisation and that it was time to try something different.

“There was two days of discussions with the three others selectors and the captain and there were very strong arguments for the players and we came out with what we thought was a pretty good team. “It was not easy to leave out those two guys. It is a discussion that went on and on and in the end we thought that we have so many all-rounders. We were trying to see if we can introduce some new faces and as far as I am concerned I think we have a good all-round one-day side,” Lloyd explained.

Bravo and Pollard were also overlooked for the five-match ODI series against South Africa starting Friday. Lloyd’s comments follow similar sentiments from WICB president Dave Cameron rejecting claims the two all-rounders were axed from the World Cup squad. “Let people understand that we have been at the bottom rung of the ladder for the last eight years or more with the same players, recycling people all the time,” Lloyd said.

WICB president backs new ODI captain to excel

West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Dave Cameron has given his full backing to new one-day skipper Jason Holder. The 23-year-old pacer was surprisingly named the replacement to Dwayne Bravo last month for the five-match ODI series in South Africa starting Friday, reports CMC. He was also announced last weekend to lead the Caribbean side to the World Cup which bowls off next month in Australia and New Zealand. “He’s somebody we have a lot of time for, a lot of respect for, he’s somebody who is very mature for his age and I expect him to lead very well in the World Cup,” Cameron said in a radio interview. Holder has played just three Tests and 21 One-Day Internationals, after making his international debut two years ago in Australia. He has since taken 29 wickets in ODIs and was good enough to hit a half-century on Test debut against New Zealand last June in his hometown Barbados. Cameron said he had been especially impressed with Holder in recent outings on the South Africa tour.
Agencies

Agencies

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Share it
Top