Millennium Post

Bomb threat at city airport

Two anonymous calls to different police stations, threatened to blow up the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport. The threats of explosion triggered a red alert at airport along with strong security checking in the immediate vicinities – Salt Lake, Rajarhat-New Town, Dum Dum, Lake Town and Bangur.

The recipient of the first call was Lalbazar – the headquarters of the Kolkata Police, where the phone had rang at around 1:24 am on Wednesday. A male voice from the other end threatened to 
blow up the Kolkata airport, but the person soon disconnected the call.

The second call was received by Bidhannagar Commissionerate at Salt Lake, which is responsible for looking after airport.

The call came at around 9.20 am on Wednesday where a male voice threatened to reduce the airport into dust within a few minutes, and soon disconnected the call in the same fashion.

The police then started trailing the link of the call and found it was made somewhere from Dankuni in Hooghly. In the afternoon, police detained a person called Arunabha Sinha, who dialed ‘100’ to call up the police and threatened to blow up the airport. 

Though police have detained the person they haven’t made clear if it was the same person who had called up at Lalbazar on Tuesday night. Sources said that the caller had warned of a human bomb.
Thorough security checks were carried out at the airport, both at the cargo and the passenger terminal. The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), which is in charge of airport security suspects the call is a hoax.

The cars which were entering at the Kolkata airport premises were checked before being allowed to approach the terminal. The passengers descended from the car and headed towards the check-in counters inside the terminal. Sniffer dogs were also deployed.

Keeping in mind the Dhaka terror attack in July, where an Indian girl working for a bank was also killed; Kolkata Airport had beefed up vigil.

“The first call was made from 3615****71. The male voice gave us another no (8697****95) saying that it was Arshad’s number. He almost pleaded that a probe be launched quickly,” a top officer of Kolkata Police said.

The Bidhannagar police however received the voice which said, the cargo section of the airport will be exploded. Arunabha Sinha, the accused, who made the call, gave a challenge to the police that the force could not do anything.

Next Story
Share it