Top
Millennium Post

Boko Haram launches new assault on NE city of Nigeria

Boko Haram fighters on Sunday stormed the northeast Nigeria city of Maiduguri, sparking an hours-long battle with troops for control of the strategically crucial Borno state capital.

Four residents told AFP by telephone that the Islamist assault began at roughly 3:00 am (local time) and that fierce fighting was ongoing at the southern edge of the city between the insurgents and troops backed by vigilantes, witnesses said. “The whole city is in fear,” said resident Adam Krenuwa. “People are afraid of what will happen if Boko Haram defeats the security forces.” Boko Haram’s last attempt to take over Maiduguri just seven days ago was repelled by the military.

But, in that January 25 assault, the militants captured the town of Monguno just 125 kilometres outside the city and seized control of a military base. Most experts said last week that the insurgents would likely launch another attempt on Maiduguri before Nigeria’s February 14 general election. 
Agencies

Agencies

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Next Story
Share it