Blast near Indian consulate in Afghan, 12 killed
At least 12 people were killed in a deadly suicide bomb attack on Saturday targeting the Indian consulate in Jalalabad city, bordering Pakistan, in the backdrop of reports that the ISI-backed Haqqani network was again plotting to attack Indian interests in Afghanistan.
Three bombers drove in a car towards the consulate and detonated explosives, killing 12, including eight children, and injuring 24 others. The dead included the bombers. The explosion, which created a large crater, occurred at a security checkpost just ahead of the consulate and all Indian personnel were safe. There was no major damage to the consulate, official sources said in New Delhi.
The Taliban denied any hand in the attack, in which the ISI-backed Haqqani network is a suspect.
The attack took place in the backdrop of threats of possible terror attacks on Indian diplomats and other assets in Afghanistan. A security team was dispatched from Delhi to Kabul last week to assess the threats.
Afghan officials said one attacker detonated the explosives-laden vehicle while the other two, wearing suicide vests, were gunned down by security forces in an exchange of fire while trying to target the Indian Consulate. Three Afghan policemen were among the injured. Nangarhar province police chief Gen Sharif Amin said most of the victims were children.
‘At least eight children were killed,’ Amin was quoted as saying by Tolo News channel.