Top
Millennium Post

Blame game over Chinese manja on Day I of Assembly session

Blame game over  Chinese manja on Day I of Assembly session
The session began on a stormy note as Leader of Opposition Vijender Gupta said the Delhi government was responsible for the August 15 deaths as it delayed issuing of a ban order on the Chinese manja in the national capital.

Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia targeted Prime Minister Narendra Modi wondering how long will he continue to allow the import of Chinese manja by “swinging along with the Chinese President”.
Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping had sat on a traditional swing at the Sabarmati riverfront during the latter’s 2014 visit to India.

However, Sisodia admitted that there was indeed a delay in issuing a draft notification banning the sale, storage and manufacturing of Chinese manja in the capital. The government had written to the Lt Governor seeking action against the erring officials, he said.

“The Prime Minister should answer as to why the centre continues to allow the import of the Chinese manja? We will take care of the ban in Delhi but only a ban on its import would be the actual solution. Why does the Centre continue to import the killer thread? What are its compulsions?” Sisodia asked. 

LoP Gupta claimed that in May 2015, a senior official in the Environment department had forwarded a file to the government on the possible imposition of ban. “Where did it disappear after that?” 
“On July 28 this year, the Environment minister held a meeting on the issue but why was an immediate ban order not issued? What were the changes brought about in the draft notification issued recently? The government has surrendered before the manja mafia. This is a serious issue. The government is responsible for the deaths,” he said.

The Delhi Police and the city government invoked emergency powers in issuing prohibitory orders banning powdered glass or metal-coated kite strings (manja) under relevant sections of CrPC last week.

The orders came days after the issuance of a draft notification post the tragic death of two children and a youth entangled by these killer strings on August 15. When its delay was questioned, the government pinned the blame on the Environment Secretary.

Next Story
Share it