Woman who accused CJI withdraws from inquiry
NEW DELHI: The woman who accused Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi of sexual harassment Tuesday said she was boycotting the "in-house proceedings" due to "serious concerns and reservations". In a detailed statement to the media Tuesday, she said, "I felt I was not likely to get justice from this committee and so I am no longer participating in the 3 Judge Committee proceedings".
The full court decided in-house, private hearings by a three-member panel last week. The three-member panel initially named was also tweaked after her objections. Justice NV Ramana, who was initially named, had withdrawn from the panel after the woman complained that he was a family friend of the Chief Justice and a second woman judge was named.
The panel now comprises Justices SA Bobde, Indu Malhotra and Indira Banerjee.
The woman said she started participating in the proceedings even though it was an "in-house committee of sitting judges junior to the CJI and not an external committee as I had requested".
But she alleged that the "atmosphere of the committee very frightening and I was very nervous because of being confronted and questioned by three SC Judges and without even the presence of my lawyer/support person".