Top
Millennium Post

Makers to take call on release after CBFC nod

Mumbai: The producers of the controversy-ridden film "Will take a call on its release only after the censor board's go-ahead," a source said on Tuesday.
The film starring Deepika Padukone as Rani Padmavati, Shahid Kapoor as Maharawal Ratan Singh and Ranveer Singh as Sultan Alauddin Khilji, was earlier scheduled to release on December 1.
On Sunday, Viacom18 Motion Pictures, the studio behind "Padmavati", announced in a statement that they were voluntarily deferring the release of the film out of "respect and regard for the law of the land" including the Central Board of Film Certification."
They said a new release date would be announced once the "requisite clearances" are in place.
But media reports have claimed that the film is now pushed for next year, and the promotions have been put on hold.
The source from the production house, however, said that no concrete decision had been reached yet.
"We will decide the release date of the film after getting the certificate from the CBFC. We will wait for the censor board to give us clearance and then decide which is the best date for the release," the source said.
CBFC chief Prasoon Joshi had on Monday said that the board should be given adequate time to come up with a balanced decision about the movie.
A source in the CBFC on Tuesday echoed Joshi's views.
Amid a raging controversy surrounding Sanjay Leela Bhansali's "Padmavati", the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting today said the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) should be allowed to do its job.
Amid rumours of a romantic dream sequence between Rajput queen Padmavati and Alauddin Khilji's characters in the film, many Rajput groups have been protesting against the movie, alleging that it distorts history.
Historians, however, are divided on whether Rani Padmavati existed.
"CBFC kisi kaam ke liye bani hui hai. Usse apna kaam karne dijiye (CBFC has been tasked with certain works. Let it do its job," Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore told reporters here.
The Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh governments have said that they would not allow the movie's release in their respective states, till certain controversial portions of the film were removed.
M Post Bureau

M Post Bureau

This is the default Millennium Post


Next Story
Share it