Millennium Post

CM's timely intervention saves 8-year-old's vision

The timely intervention of chief minister Mamata Banerjee has saved the eye sight of an eight-year-old boy whom several state- run hospitals had refused admit.
Following the chief minister's instruction, the deputy super of Nilratan Sarkar Medical College and hospital has ordered an inquiry to find out why the boy was earlier turned back by the hospital doctors. An NGO has been assigned to look after the boy. Mamata Banerjee called up the hospital thrice and inquired about the patient's health.
Karim Molla ( 8) is now receiving treatment at Nilratan Sarkar Medical College and Hospital and his condition is stated to be stable. The nail which had entered his left eye has been removed. A 3-D CT scan was done to find out the extent of damage on the right side of the brain. The deputy super said no brain injury has been detected in the CT scan. The doctors will be able to tell about the condition the eye sight only after the bandage is removed.
Molla's case is a classic example how the state- run hospitals openly flout the chief minister's instructions that no patient should be refused. Banerjee has said repeatedly that hospitals should not refuse any patient and start treatment immediately.
Karim, a resident of Jibantala in south 24 Parganas received injuries when he fell down while trying to climb a bamboo fence on Saturday afternoon. A nail entered the left eye and he started bleeding profusely. He was taken to Canning sub divisional hospital and doctors referred him to national Medical College and Hospital.
Karim's father and his relatives had a harrowing time when state- run hospitals refused to admit him. From National Medical College and hospital, they went to Nilratan Sarkar Medical College and Hospital and from there to SSKM hospital. Meanwhile, Karim's pain intensified and turned unbearable. At their wit's end, Karim's father then got in touch with a vernacular channel who took up the matter with NRS hospital authorities and aired the news. Following this the hospital authorities admitted him.
The news drew the attention of officials in the chief minister's office who contacted the hospital authorities. Meanwhile, the chief minister also got the information and instructed the deputy speaker to rush to the hospital.
Following the chief minister's intervention, doctors began treatment in real earnest. The nail was taken out following a 30-minute surgery. The doctors said Karim is now stable.
Karim's father who was not at home when the accident took place thanked Mamata Banerjee for her prompt action. " Had it not been for didi my son would have lost his life," he said.
Next Story
Share it