Top
Millennium Post

EC disqualifies MP Minister for paid news

The Election Commission has disqualified Madhya Pradesh Irrigation Minister Narottam Mishra and barred him from contesting elections for three years for allegedly being involved in paid news during the 2008 assembly elections, an official said.

"As per law, Mishra stands disqualified from the date of issuance of order and debarred further for three years from contesting elections," an Election Commission official said.

The EC decision came on a complaint by Rajendra Bharti, who had fought the 2008 elections as a BSP candidate, but is now with the Congress. Bharti had filed the complaint of paid news in April 2009.Bharti of the Congress had alleged that Mishra, a close aide of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, had not filed certain details in his election expenditure in the 2008 polls. The EC had served notice to Mishra on January 15, 2013.

An EC spokesperson confirmed that Mishra had been disqualified for three years from Saturday. His election from the Datia Assembly constituency also stands void.

Mishra had moved the Madhya Pradesh High Court and the Supreme Court against the EC notice, but did not get any relief. Finally, the EC came out with its verdict on Saturday.
Next Story
Share it