Millennium Post

Manchester suicide attack kills 22

At least 22 people, including children, were killed and 59 others injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up as thousands of fans were exiting US star Ariana Grande's pop concert in Manchester, the deadliest terror attack in the UK since the 7/7 bombings of 2005.

Children and teenagers were among the dead because of the very young demographic of the pop star's fans. Screaming concert-goers fled the venue on Monday night in panic after the blast struck the Manchester Arena — Europe's largest indoor arena.

"Our thoughts are with those 22 victims that we now know have died, the 59 people who have been injured and their loved ones. We continue to do all we can to support them. They are being treated at eight hospitals across Greater Manchester," Greater Manchester Police chief constable Ian Hopkins said.

Police confirmed the attacker died at the arena. They said the male attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device, which he detonated, causing the massive blast.

However, police have not yet confirmed the identity of the attacker.

UK PM Theresa May said the people of Manchester have fallen victim to a "callous terrorist attack".

Official sources in New Delhi said they were ascertaining if there were any Indian casualties in the blast.

The blast comes just weeks before the snap UK general election, campaigning for which was hotting up over the issue of Brexit — the UK's exit from the European Union.

However, both May and Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn suspended election campaign after the Manchester attack.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi condemned the Manchester attack.

"Pained by the attack in Manchester. We strongly condemn it. Our thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with the injured," he tweeted.
British Transport Police said the explosion occurred in the foyer area of Manchester Arena that has a capacity of 21,000.

Eyewitnesses said the explosion was heard after the artist had finished her show and left the stage.

Pop star Grande's spokesperson said she was safe.

Grande, a 23-year-old American TV teen actress-turned-pop star, said that she was "broken" and at a loss for words over the deadly terror attack at her concert.
"Broken. From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don't have words," she tweeted hours after the powerful blast.

Armed police lined the streets outside the arena with officers moving members of the public away and bomb disposal units at the site of the blast.

Eyewitnesses reported hearing a loud "bang" from inside the venue.

Video footage from the scene showed bloodied victims being helped by emergency services.

"It was one bang and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us," an eyewitness said.
Next Story
Share it