Millennium Post

Sonipat gang rape: More sordid details emerge

More gory details of Nirbhaya like gang rape-and-murder of a young Dalit woman from Sonipat emerged on Sunday, while her family alleged that their plea to police for help prior to the killing went unheeded.

An autopsy of the victim showed the bones of the woman's skull were shattered into pieces and "some sharp-edged objects may have been inserted in her private parts".

"The findings suggest that it was a brutal rape and murder," said Dr S K Dhatterwal, head of the department of forensic medicine at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (PGIMS) in Rohtak, who conducted the post-mortem examination.

Two persons, including the main accused Sumit, who is a Dalit, have been arrested by the Haryana Police which has formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the case.

Police on Saturday also said that the family of the victim suspected the involvement of six more persons, out of whom five were related to the main accused.

The decomposed and mutilated body of the 23-year-old woman, who went missing from Sonipat on May 9 and was gang- raped and brutally murdered, was found near the Industrial Model Township in Urban Estate, Rohtak, on May 11. Stray dogs had bitten off the face and lower portion of her body.

The sheer brutality of the crime is reminiscent of the 'Nirbhaya' incident in Delhi, which triggered nation-wide outrage.

The kin of the victim have alleged that they had approached the Sonipat police about a month back with a complaint that Sumit was harassing their daughter, but there was no action.

Refuting the charge, Sonipat Superintendent of Police, Ashwin Shenvi said, "There was a verbal complaint given some time back by the woman to Sonipat police saying that the main accused was asking her to marry him."

A two-member team of the National Commission for Women (NCW) was sent from New Delhi to Sonipat on Sunday to visit the family of the victim who was gang-raped and murdered in Haryana's Rohtak district. Taking suo motu cognisance of the case, NCW chairperson Lalita Kumaramanglam said that a two-member team had been sent to Sonipat on Sunday morning.
Next Story
Share it