Gas leak scare in Delhi; 475 school girls taken to hospital
: Sirens of ambulance and police vans echoed in South East Delhi where 475 school girls were admitted to various hospitals after a chemical leakage from an imported container in Tuglakabad early on Saturday morning. Parents were seen anxiously accompanying their kids to hospitals after they complained of irritation of eyes, throat and skin. Fire brigade, cats ambulances and NDRF teams, too, rushed to the spot to secure the location of any possible leakage.
At around 7:43 am, the police received a call from Rani Jhansi Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya and Government Girls Senior Secondary school. Soon, various teams of cops were pressed into action seeing the seriousness of the incident.
"My eyes started watering and my skin had a burning sensation. I saw some of my friends faint." said Rupa, a class X student of Rani Jhansi School.
According to police, the container was imported from China and had a liquid chemical 'Cholromethyl pyridine' used in pesticides.
"We have registered a case under sections 278/284/336/337 of IPC. The container has been moved to Sonipat. We are investigating how the leakage took place." said DCP South East Romil Baaniya.
Later in the day, Delhi Chief Minister and Deputy CM manish Sisodia too visited Majedia Hospital and met the admitted girl students. Sisodia, who also holds the education portfolio, said, "There was an exam in the school which we have cancelled following the incident."
Meanwhile, the Delhi government ordered the area district magistrate to launch a probe into the incident.
DCW chief Swati Maliwal said, "Mere registration of the FIR won't do. It is a man-made disaster as there was no need for a container depot to be in the centre of Delhi. It should be immediately shifted and accountability should be fixed for the gas leak." Though most of the students were discharged after treatment, the gas leakage in a residential area near schools has raised serious concerns.