Army chief hints at action after mutilation of soldiers
Hinting retaliation by Indian Army for the killing and beheading of two soldiers by Pakistani troops in Jammu and Kashmir, Army chief Bipin Rawant on Thursday said he will share the details of action once the plan is executed. "We do not talk about future plans beforehand. We share details after execution of the plan," Gen Rawat said, while replying to a volley of questions on whether the army will respond to the barbaric act.
Asked about the reactivation of terror launchpads across the LoC which were destroyed by India during the surgical strike last year, Rawat only said the "counter-infiltration postures" have been beefed up. "Terrorists are trying to infiltrate. Snows are melting, summer months have started. Like each year, infiltration will commence. We are taking measures. We have beefed up our counter-infiltration postures," said Gen Rawat.
On security forces launching a massive anti-militancy operation at multiple places in south Kashmir's Shopian district today, the army chief said it is being carried out to bring the situation under control.
"The combing operation is going on as some banks were looted and some policemen have been killed. It has been launched to ensure that the situation is brought under control. These operations are carried out regularly," he said.
Earlier on Wednesday, the government had said it has credible evidence of Pakistan's involvement in the killing and beheading of Indian jawans in poonch. Foreign Secretary Jaishankar summoned summoned Pakistamn High Commissioner Abdul Basit and expressed grave concern over the incident. Pakistan, however, remained on denial mode and asked for actionable evidence.
Defence Minister Arun Jaitley, who had assured that the "sacrifice (of the two soldiers) will not go in vain" and the Indian armed forces will react "appropriately" to the "inhuman act" of the Pakistani security forces, said denial by Pakistan has 'no credibility'.