Millennium Post

49 infants die in 1 month in Farrukhabad hospital

Farrukhabad/Lucknow (UP): Forty-nine infants died in a month in the Farrukhabad district hospital, most of them from "perinatal asphyxia", a condition in which the child cannot breathe properly, officials said Monday.
In a virtual replay of the tragedy in Gorakhpur, where 30 children died in two days in a state-run hospital last month, parents of many of the children in Farrukhabad told officials there was a delay in providing oxygen and medicines.
The hospital recorded 49 deaths -30 in neo-natal ICU and 19 during delivery - between July 20 and August 21, an official spokesperson said in Lucknow.
The state government on Monday transferred the Farrukhabad district magistrate Ravindra Kumar as well as chief medical officer (CMO) Umakant Pandey and the chief medical superintendent (CMS) Akhilesh Agarwal.
An FIR against the CMO and the CMS was registered on Sunday night in Farrukhabad, about 180 km from the state capital.
"A high-level team will be sent to Farrukhabad to probe the deaths and its technical aspects will also be taken care of. Taking note of the incident, the DM, the CMO and the CMS (women's hospital) have been removed," the spokesperson said.
He added that 468 deliveries took place in the women's wing of the hospital during the period. Of these, 19 were stillbirths.
City Magistrate Jaynendra Kumar Jain and SDM Ajit Kumar Singh said a probe found that 30 deaths were due to lack of oxygen. They also said in the report that the CMO and the CMS did not cooperate with the investigation.
"During the period, 30 children died mostly due to perinatal asphyxia (a condition in which a child does not breathe normally just before, during, or after birth). During the probe, the parents informed that there was a delay in providing oxygen and medicine due to which the children died," the report stated.
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath's office took prompt notice of the matter after local news channels reported the death of 49 children in the hospital and directed the district magistrate to conduct a probe, officials said.
Next Story
Share it