Ban on big diesel cars, SUVs not the right way: Javadekar
Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar on Wednesday said the ban on diesel cars and SUVs with engines above 2,000cc in Delhi-NCR by courts “is not the right way”.
Calling it “unfortunate”, he said the government is already taking measures to curb pollution and the ban has resulted in vehicles with latest technologies not being allowed while old polluting vehicles continue plying on the roads.
“I am very sure that courts will also appreciate that there has to be a certainty of policy and execution. Policy and execution are the job of the executive, legality of any decision is the job of the judiciary,” Javadekar said here.
He further said: “Legislature’s job is to legislate and these are the few organs, which are created by the constitution, which must work independently. We must sustain each other and we must work independently that is the real need of the hour. When all will move in one direction, we will achieve goals more than what we have planned to achieve.”
Commenting on the ban imposed on registration of big diesel cars and SUVs in Delhi-NCR since December last year, the minister did not refer to the Supreme Court by name but just mentioned courts and the NGT. “I think that this is not the right way, it’s unfortunate ...court also needs to appreciate that because you are banning the latest vehicles and old vehicles are plying on the roads that are more polluting,” he said. Javadekar was apparently referring to the Supreme Court, which has extended the ban until the next hearing which is expected in July.
Air pollution has not increased only in last two years. It has aggravated over the last ten years, he added. “Judiciary now should also appreciate that the government has taken steps...(like) migration to Euro VI to fight pollution,” the minister added. He further said: “In the environment ministry we have made emission norms more stringent practically for all industries and that’s the right direction in controlling pollution. So we are taking decisions we are making all efforts.” Javadekar was speaking at the inauguration of a new INR 100-crore plant of Force Motors from where the company will supply engines and axles to Mercedes-Benz India.
- 22 Aug 2019 6:17 PM GMT
- 1 May 2017 6:52 PM GMT
- 8 Oct 2019 4:43 PM GMT
- 31 Aug 2019 1:38 PM GMT
- 25 Oct 2017 3:32 PM GMT
- 17 Oct 2019 10:45 AM GMT
- 17 Oct 2019 10:37 AM GMT
- 17 Oct 2019 10:35 AM GMT
- 17 Oct 2019 10:33 AM GMT
- 17 Oct 2019 10:30 AM GMT