Millennium Post

Another early morning accident kills one person in city

This is the second incident within a week in which two bikers were killed after being hit by some expensive cars in the city. In both the cases, neither the bikers nor the pillion riders were wearing helmets. Last week a mob vandalised Fort Oasis housing complex at Panditya Road in South Kolkata following a road accident in which a 24-year-old youth was killed after being hit by a Mercedes car on Hazra Road in the wee hours.

Police said Yash Chowdhury, a resident of BL block in Salt Lake who runs a business along with his father, was driving the car. He surrendered before the Charu Market police station and secured a bail against a bond of Rs 1,000.

Police said that Saturday’s accident was quite similar to that of the Hazra Road hit-and-run incident as the car owner had fled leaving the vehicle soon after the incident. Preliminary investigation had revealed that the car is owned by a resident of Salt Lake and the investigating officers had initiated a search for the driver of the offending car. Later Yash surrendered before the police.

A police officer said that after speaking to a tea-stall owner, they came to know that the motorbike with the two youth on it was coming from Hazra to Tollygunge area. None of them were wearing helmets. The car was also heading at the same direction at a distance of a few metres from the motorbike. Both the vehicles were at high speed and the accident took place when the motorbike tried to take a sudden right turn. Driver of the speeding car couldn’t control the vehicles when the motorbike suddenly came in front of it and hit the two-wheeler. The bike collided against a roadside railing and the youth received severe head injuries.

Policemen patrolling the area rushed to the spot after some people informed them about the accident and took the duo to Bangur Hospital where one of them was declared brought dead while two others were admitted with severe injuries. The injured youth were later shifted to Chittaranjan Medical College and Hospital.

Police said that Karai was a resident of Roy Bahadur Road in Behala and had a business of repairing mobile phone towers. On Friday night he was returning with his friend on the pillion, who was also the resident of the same area. His friend is still fighting for his life in the hospital.
Next Story
Share it