Millennium Post

Another climber dies while descending from Everest

Sunita Hazra, who was also accompanying the expedition team, has been rescued and taken to Kathmandu in a helicopter. She suffered frost bites on her body. She has talked to her family members. 

She has been undergoing treatment at a Kathmandu hospital. Expedition officials made contact with him and teammate Sunita Hazra on Sunday and helped them descend to Camp 3, but the whereabouts of the remaining two climbers — Goutam Ghosh and Paresh Nath are still unknown. 

The state government will send a special team under the leadership of principal secretary of disaster management to Nepal to accelerate the rescue operations. 

Arup Biswas who was the minister in charge of youth affair department today confirmed that Subhash Pal has died. The body has been identified. A special team will visit Kathmandu tomorrow and then it will go to the base camp to carry out the rescue operations for those who were still untraced. 

“Chief Minister designate Mamata Banerjee has instructed to take every possible measure to accelerate the rescue operations. A special team comprising of senior state government officials and Ujjal Roy former mountaineer will start for Kathmandu tomorrow. Talks are on with the Nepal government. Control rooms have been opened,” Roy said at Nabanna on Tuesday. 

Expedition organisers said that Pal had successfully scaled the summit by reaching 8,849 meter on Saturday but later he collapsed while descending from the peak. 

Pal and three other mountaineers from India lost contact with operators on Saturday morning. 
More than 350 climbers including 140 foreigners have successfully scaled the world’s highest peak this season after two consecutive years of deadly disasters. But four other mountaineers have died in the Himalayas in the past few days.

According to Director of Nepal Tourism Sudarshan Dakal Pal’s body was found between base camp number 3 and 4, while Sunita has been air lifted to Kathmandu.  The other two mountaineers Goutam Ghosh and Paresh Nath are still absconding.

A pall of gloom has descended in the house of Pal in Bankura after the news of his death has come in. His family members were anxiously waiting as they were not getting any information of the mountaineer for a long time. 

On Sunday the news came in that Pal was rescued to the camp 4 along with the three other team members of the expedition bringing a sigh of relief for the family members but on Monday morning they came to know that Subhash has died in Everest. 

Former mountaineers have said that now a day the climbers are taking too much risk while scaling the mountain peaks as they face a problem of sponsorship.  Even the sherpas who guide the climbers are less experienced. 

As there is a crisis of getting sponsorship the most of the climbers to scale the peak no matter how the adverse the weather is.

Next Story
Share it