Millennium Post
Nation

Akhilesh says action will be taken for Allahabad stampede

Uttar Pradesh chief minister Akhilesh Yadav visited the injured people in SRN hospital in Allahabad this afternoon, two days after 36 people were killed and 37 others injured in stampede at a railway station in the city and said his government would ensure that such incidents would not be repeated in future.

Terming the incident as unfortunate, he said all efforts would be made to prevent its recurrence in future. ‘All possible measures would be taken for next main bathing festival on 15 February on the occasion of Basant Panchami,’ the chief minister said.

He said the prime objective of the state government was to provide best treatment to the injured and sending the bodies of the deceased to their respective homes.

Thirty-six devotees were killed and 37 others injured in a stampede at Allahabad railway station when they were returning after taking a holy dip in the Sangam, the confluence of rivers Ganga, Yamuna and mythical Saraswati, on the main bathing festival of Mauni Amavasya during Mahakumbh.

Replying to a question, the Chief Minister said, ‘Nothing could be said till the probe is complete.’

Yadav, who was facing criticism for not visiting the site for two days after the incident, said the senior officers had already reached there.  ‘According all importance to the situation, I had also sent two ministers along with chief secretary Jawed Usmani and DGP A C Sharma to Allahabad,’ he added.


LOW-FLYING CHOPPER PILOT, FRENCH LENSMAN NABBED AT KUMBH

Cases were slapped on a helicopter pilot, flying a French photo-journalist, who had hovered dangerously low over the pilgrims at the Kumbh Mela here, police officials said Tuesday. The two have been detained and are being questioned. The case was filed against private chopper pilot and the French media person for criminal negligence and breaching the Official Secrets Act.
Next Story
Share it