Top
Millennium Post

363 govt accommodations vacated: Centre tells SC

The Supreme Court on Monday took note of Centre’s response that it has got back the possession of 363 government accommodations, including Type 6, 7 and 8 bungalows and decided to dispose of the plea on the issue.

‘This is not an alarming situation. There are one or two stray instances. For one or two houses, we shall not be wasting our time,’ a bench comprising Chief Justice H L Dattu and Justice A K Sikri said.

The court had earlier taken suo motu cognizance of a letter written by former CAG Vinod Rai who had annexed a news report of a national daily alleging that 22 former Union ministers and retired bureaucrats were illegally occupying government accommodation.

Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar, appearing for the Centre, on Monday said that out of 374 houses, 363 have been vacated after the present government took over.

He also said that in one matter, the eviction process has already been initiated and in the cases of deceased leaders Sis Ram Ola and Arjun Singh, their families have been allowed to stay for some more time on compassionate grounds. The court took note of the reply and disposed of the plea saying that these are ‘stray’ incidents.
Next Story
Share it