2 killed, 17 missing as Typhoon Nepartak sweeps through China
At least two persons were killed and 17 others listed missing after Typhoon Nepartak swept through east China on Sunday, leaving behind a trail of destruction as it thrashed the region with heavy rain and strong winds that uprooted trees and forced evacuation of over 4 lakh residents.
With that the death toll from heavy rain in the country in the past a few weeks have reached 166. Nepartak, the first typhoon of the season, landed at 1:45 PM local time in Fujian province’s Shishi City, packing winds of up to 100 kilometres per hour. The provincial flood control office said that so far 4.38 lakh residents in nine cities have been temporarily relocated. The typhoon has destroyed more than 1,000 houses. Close to 400 flights were canceled, and more than 300 bullet trains were suspended, it said in a statement. Five airports have been closed. Almost 5,000 buses have been cancelled and power supply has been interrupted in remote areas due to the typhoon. More than 33,000 fishing boats were sheltered in port, while air-passenger services and ships to Taiwan across strait remained suspended.