Millennium Post

12-yr-old moves court to get admission

A 12-year-old school boy has moved the Delhi High Court seeking direction to the Delhi Government for his admission in a government school.

The boy has filed the petition through Social Jurist advocate Ashok Agarwal. Master Akshay Kumar, after moving from a Ghaziabad school, failed to get admission in Class VII in a government school in the city in the current academic session. He was denied admission by Sarvodya Bal Vidyalaya, New Ashok Nagar, Delhi in 2012-13 on the ground that his parents failed to get police verification for rent agreement as a proof of residence.

He had moved from a Ghaziabad private school as the parents were unable to afford school fee anymore. After left with only option to get their son admitted in a government school, the parents had approached High School, New Kundli for admission but they were told by the school principal that there was no seat vacant. Then they approached another government school - Govt. Sarvodya Bal Vidyalaya, New Ashok Nagar, Delhi. The Principal of the school asked the parents to produce Ration Card as residence proof. The parents told the principal that they have been living in Kundli for the last one and a half years as a tenant on a monthly rent of Rs 2,000 and they did not have a ration card.

However, the admission was not granted and parents were told that unless they could show the proof of residence, the admission could not be granted.

The parents again approached the school with the electricity bill in the name of the landlord and ID Card of the landlord. However, the principal was not convinced and told the parents to bring the rent agreement. They then got a rent agreement prepared and again approached the school. However, the Principal told them that the rent agreement was not sufficient and they had to produce ration card containing the names of their family members.

Thereafter, the parents approached the Education Officer with a written request that their son be admitted. The Education Officer made an endorsement on their application and told the parents to first get police verification for rent agreement. They then approached police and requested them to verify the rent agreement. The police officials refused to verify the rent agreement saying that they were not obliged to do the same. Fed up with all this, the parents approached advocate Ashok Agarwal for help from the High Court in getting their son admitted in a government school.
Next Story
Share it