1 dead, 2 injured in fire at Shahbad Dairy glass factory
A 55-year-old labourer died, while two others were severely injured in a fire at a glass factory in Outer Delhi’s Shahbad Dairy area late Tuesday night. Sources said an LPG cylinder blast led to the inferno.
The police said the deceased was identified as Baape, while Mahesh (40) and Kishen (25) were injured in the mishap.
Senior fire department officials said preliminary investigation indicated that the blaze occured due to a short-circuit. “We are yet to ascertain the exact reason behind the fire,” said a senior fire department official, adding that it took over two hours to douse the blaze.
The fire department received a call about the incident at the factory in Shahbad Dairy’s Daulatpur Industrial area around 12:50am. Five fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
The factory manufactured glass bottles used to store injections.
Three labourers were present inside the building when the cylinder exploded. A team of police and fire department officials rescued the labourers and took them to the Ambedkar Hospital, where Baape was declared brought dead. Police said Mahesh and Kishen, who suffered severe burns, were later referred to the Safdarjung Hospital.
Police said Mahesh and Kishen had suffered 80 and 60 per cent burns, respectively. Their condition was stated to be critical.
A case under Section 304A has been registered against the factory owner at the Shahbad Dairy police station.
Police said said Baape was a native of West Bengal, but had been living with his family in the Shahbad Dairy area.