PSU official rescued, part of ransom missing

Satyendra Narain Singh, 55, a senior officer with Oil India Ltd, was released by his abductors after seven days only when the family paid a ransom of Rs 16 lakh. The police, which could not help Singh's family in these tough days despite taking help from the Special Task Force of Uttar Pradesh, claimed that it has arrested three members of the gang which abducted Singh and recovered a part of the ransom. However, the gang leader, the head of a village in Etawah, which incidentally is the home district of the Uttar Pradesh chief minister Akhilesh Yadav, managed to flee with the rest of the money.

Singh's abductors fractured his arm. His body has injury marks. Immediately after his release, Singh was rushed to Apollo Hospital in Delhi for treatment. According to the police, the abductors got angry when they read about the incident in a Hindi daily and thrashed him mercilessly.

Singh is a joint director in Petroleum Conservation Research Centre, New Delhi. He was kidnapped from the Omega 1 sector of Greater Noida at around 9.30 pm on 7 July when he had gone out for a night walk in a nearby park. He lives in the same area. The six abductors came in a Scorpio.

His wife Uma immediately approached the police after the abduction, but a relevant report was registered at around 2.00 pm the next day after the intervention of senior police officials. The abductors reportedly took Singh to Agra and demanded Rs 2 crore in ransom the next day, which they brought down to Rs 16 lakh later, which the family agreed to pay.

'It was very sensitive matter and the life of victim utmost priority for all of us. So, our team in coordination with the STF and the district police of Agra and other districts followed the kidnappers silently and raid only after they released Singh,' said Praveen Kumar, Senior Superintendent of Police of Noida. 'Singh was released by the abductors after Uma paid Rs 16 lakh on Saturday night and after ensuring that he was safe the police swung into action,' he added.

According to sources, the gang hails from Greater Noida, Etawah and Eta in Uttar Pradesh. The police claimed to have recovered Rs 9.23 lakh of the ransom money in cash, one WagonR car, one Hero Honda Passion motorcycle, one licensed revolver, one gun and cartridges from them. Of the three accused arrested, two – Shyam Kishore Pathak and Sumit Pathak – are siblings, while the third Rajkumar Tiwari is their relative. They all hail from Agra.
Next Story
Share it