Ponty’s men, held for trespassing, get bail

Liquor baron Ponty Chadha’s two employees, arrested for allegedly trespassing into a disputed farmhouse at Bijwasan here before shootout at Chadhas’ Chattarpur farmhouse, have been granted bail by a Delhi court.

Metropolitan Magistrate Ruchika Singhla released accused Vijay Kumar and Madan Rana on bail on furnishing ‘a personal bond and two local sureties in the sum of Rs 20,000 each.’

Kumar and Rana, who were working as supervisors at Chadhas’ farmhouse at Bijwasan (G-19) in south-west Delhi, were arrested by the Delhi Police on 18 November for allegedly committing offences of wrongful restrain, preparation for hurting and assaulting, trespassing and intimidating.

While enlarging the two on bail, the court has directed them not to leave the country without its prior permission.

The police was also suspecting the involvement of the two in 17 November morning raid at Chadhas Chhattarpur farmhouse in South Delhi where Ponty and his younger brother Hardeep were killed in the shootout that occurred a few hours later.

Seeking bail for the two, their counsel R S Jakhar and B S Jakhar told the court that the accused were falsely implicated in the case.

The two were employed by Ponty to supervise the farmhouse and they were present at the spot with his consent, he said. The counsel also claimed the complainant has lodged a false and concocted FIR against the two.

The police, however, had opposed their bail pleas saying the other co-accused are still absconding and if these two are released on bail, they may tamper with the evidence and may help other accused in absconding.

The court granted bail to them stipulating that they shall not tamper with the evidence in any manner and will remain present before the investigating agency as and when required.

It also said, ‘Accused shall not aid any other co-accused in any manner.’

The police had said Hardeep’s staff was staying at the farmhouse and Ponty’s men had gone there on 17 November to take control of the property by putting new locks.

It had said the 17 November incidents at Bijwasan and Chhattarpur were reported simultaneously, between 11 am and 11.30 am. Hardeep was in Noida at that time and was informed of the clashes, it had said.

He had immediately rushed to the Chhattarpur farmhouse.

The shootout started after noon and lasted for about 20 minutes, it had said.

Ponty and Hardeep, who had an ongoing property dispute, were killed when both sides opened fire at each other on 17 November at their family farmhouse here.
Next Story
Share it