More charges may be slapped on Tejpal

A team of Goa police left Delhi on Sunday without establishing any contact with founder and editor-in-chief of Tehelka magazine Tarun Tejpal, who is accused of sexually assaulting a journalist employed at his magazine. The team, however managed to question Shoma Chaudhury, the managing editor of the magazine, for about nine hours at Tehelka’s office.

A source told Millennium Post, ‘Tejpal, who has not been contacted as yet, wants to get his case transferred from Goa Police to an independent agency.’  Tejpal is likely to move court towards this end before the victim’s statement is recorded during early hours of Monday.

Speaking to Millennium Post, Kishan Kumar, director general of police, Panaji, Goa, said, ‘The three-member team of Goa police which reached Delhi to question Chaudhury and three other employees at Tehelka are satisfied with their investigation. On behalf of the team, I have received a comprehensive report of the investigation.’

Sammy Tavares, deputy superintendent of Goa police (crime branch), who is heading the team, said, ‘We have quizzed Chaudhary from 5 pm to 2 am and she has cooperated with us. Also, she is close to Tejpal’s immediate family and we have gathered necessary information about his possible hideouts.’

After the team reached Goa, a press conference was held by OP Mishra, deputy inspector general of police (Goa), who said,’ We have not established any kind of contact with Tejpal as yet.’ He added, ‘There are many things which emerged during the course of investigation...if additional charges are required, they will be added according to the development in the course of action.’   

Sources in Goa police confirmed the seizure of documents and electronic items that includes a CPU, a hard disk, transcripts of emails exchanged by Tejpal and others, Chaudhury’s laptop, etc. ‘The mobile phone and the iPad owned by Chaudhury were also scanned by the team,’ he added. On Sunday afternoon, Chaudhury released her media statement that after the nine-hour-long questioning by the cops, she was still ready to cooperate with the police.

Next Story
Share it