Fire breaks out in Mundka area

A massive fire broke out in a plastic scrap yard in outer Delhi's Mundka area on Sunday and destroyed property worth several lakhs. However, no casualties have been reported.

The Delhi Fire Services (DFS) had deputed around 22 fire tenders and took six hours to douse the fire. The fire officials so far have not been able to ascertain the cause of the fire, however, they suspect that sparks from a high tension wire passing through the godown may have led to the outbreak. According to a senior DFS officer, the fire was reported in the early morning hours on Sunday. "We had received a call around 8:05 am that a fire had broken out at PBC godown. After ascertaining the threat level of the fire, we deputed 22 fire tenders to the spot," he said.

By the time fire tenders had arrived at the spot, the fire had spread across the 2,500 square yard. Ram Prakash, the owner of PBC godown has claimed that his property has suffered losses worth several lakhs. "Thankfully, a lot of people were not in the godown when the fire broke out. We had also evacuated some of the workers and also tried to douse the fire ourselves but the blaze kept on growing," he said.

The fire officials said they faced a lot of difficulty in dousing the fire. "There were a lot of problems. In our assessment, proper fire safety norms were not followed. We will also be making an arson report detailing the property lost due to the fire and the cause of the fire," the official added.
Next Story
Share it