Crime Diary: July 24


A priest in a popular temple in Connaught Place has been been booked for fraud at in Parliament Street police station. The accused allegedly cheated several people of Delhi and Gurgaon by posing as owner of a land, on the basis of fake papers, which he had actually taken on rent.

‘The accused has been identified as Anil Mohan Bharadwaj, 40. His victims include Rajya Sabha employees and a relative of a Delhi police inspector. Five cheating cases have been lodged against him in different police stations of Delhi and Gurgaon,’ sources said.

His latest victim, S K Mishra, an employee in Rajya Sabha, has lodged a complaint at Parliament Street police station against Bharadwaj. According to him, Bhardwaj took around Rs 18 lakh on the pretext of selling a plot to him, of which he claimed to be the owner.

When the victim went to take possession of the land with papers provided by Bharadwaj, he found the land has already been sold to some other person.

Since Bharadwaj was a priest in a temple at Connaught Place, he used to target customers from there, said a police officer.

‘He was arrested in May, last year. But he got a conditional bail. The cheques he submitted to the court after bail, however, bounced,’ said the official.

A case of cheating using the same modus operandi was registered in Connaught Place and Paharganj police stations in Delhi and Shushant Lok police station in Gurgaon, Haryana. One more cheating case has reported from Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh, in which he took around Rs 90 lakh from an unsuspecting victim, said the official.

A few months ago, he took around Rs 10 lakh from the  daughter of a Delhi police inspector.

Bhardwaj also used to change his accommodation from place to place quite often.

A few months ago, when a sub-inspector went to enquire about Bharadwaj, his wife Sadhana and children locked him in their house and allegedly beat him up. Receiving information about incident, senior officers of central district reached the spot and rescued him. All were later booked for attacking the police, said the police.


An Assistant Sub Inspector was injured here when he tried to stop youths who were performing stunts on a motorcycle near India Gate following which investigators arrested four youths, police said on Monday.

The incident took place late last night on Akbar Road near India Gate and four youths were arrested in this connection.

Traffic personnel were deployed near India Gate to ensure smooth traffic and late in the night, a group of around 40 bikers came in an unruly way, Satyendra Garg, Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic), said.

ASI Rajbir Singh was on duty along with constable Prashant and they stopped one of the motorcyclists travelling allegedly at a high speed with someone riding pillion.

In the process of stopping the motorcycle driven allegedly by Gajender Pal Singh (28), Singh sustained fracture on his right hand. The driver was arrested.

‘Three other motorcyclists Sonu, Sohan Singh and Faizan were also prosecuted for dangerous driving,’ Garg said.

‘Traffic Police along with local police and PCR are geared up for making India Gate safe from traffic violations and other offences and those who do dangerous driving will be prosecuted under appropriate sections,’ he said.

Singh and Prashant are being recommended for cash reward and Commendation Certificate by Traffic Police, he said.


A seven-year-old boy was kidnapped and murdered, allegedly by the tenant of his father, who had developed a grudge against him. The father of the victim was forcing the tenant to vacate his house after learning about his illicit relationship with a woman in the neighbourhood, police said on Monday.

The incident took place on 13 July in northwest Delhi’s Swaroop Nagar and the accused tenant has been identified as Ashish.

Police learnt about Ashish’s involvement in the kidnapping of the boy and that he has been murdered after they arrested Ashish’s associate Mohammad Islam on Sunday evening.

The victim, identified as Gaurav Kumar, a Class 2 student at a private school was kidnapped on 13 July from outside his house by Ashish, a carpenter. Ashish along with Islam kidnapped the boy by telling him that his father was looking for him.

‘They took Gaurav to an isolated place in Swaroop Nagar area where Ashish strangled him to death. After murdering the boy, they dumped the body in a nearby drain. We are trying to recover the body of the victim,’ said a senior police officer quoting Islam’s confessional statement.

Asked if Gaurav was kidnapped for ransom, the officer said that the boy’s family members did not receive any ransom call.

During investigation, the senior police officer said, it was learnt that Ashish, who was living as a tenant at the victim’s house, and his friend Islam were also missing.

‘We examined call records of their cell phones and finally nabbed Islam. He has confessed his involvement in the crime and has also revealed that Ashish wanted to take revenge’ the officer said.


A man and his two sons were arrested for stabbing several people in a feud over a petty issue, which led to the death of a senior citizen at Hari Nagar in west Delhi, police said on Monday.

Anmol Singh, 55, was arrested with his sons, Kamal Nain Singh and Prabh Simran Singh, on Sunday from Hari Nagar, said V Renganathan, Additional Commissioner of Police (west).

Police received a call regarding the incident of stabbing on 21 July from 22/4A, near Jail Road, Prem Nagar at Hari Nagar. On enquiry, police found that two senior citizens, Bhagat Singh and Inder Mohan Singh, were brutally stabbed with knife by a group of three people and many others were also injured in the incident. The injured were shifted to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital.

Police reached the hospital where Harminder Singh stated that he was present at his house along with his family members when his brother Tajender Singh entered the house in a battered condition.

Tajender told his brother that he had a minor fracas with Kamal Nain Singh at the Tandoor restaurant.

‘After some time, Kamal Nain Singh came near his house along with his father Anmol Singh and his brother Prabh Simran Singh and started abusing and threatening Harminder Singh and his family,’ said Renganathan.

Upon this, Harminder Singh’s father Bhagat Singh and his uncle Inder Mohan Singh went down stairs to enquire about the matter. Anmol Singh and his two sons quarrelled with them, abused them and asked them to produce Tajender before them.

When Bhagat Singh and Inder Mohan objected to it, both Kamal Nain and Prabh Simran took out knives and stabbed them. On seeing this Harminder, Tajender Singh, and his aunt Jasbeer Kaur came to their rescue.

They were also attacked. Injured people were shifted to the Hospital, where Bhagat Singh was declared dead during treatment. During interrogation, police came to know that Kamal Nain Singh, who was a known criminal of area, had a quarrel with Tajender Singh at the restaurant over petty issue and to teach him a lesson, he along with his brother and father went to the house and challenged him and his family.
Next Story
Share it