Court allows Swamy's application against PC

Janta Party chief Subramanian Swamy has been allowed by a Delhi court to move an application against home minister P Chidambaram and make him co-accused in a mass killing case in Meerut two decades back.

Talking to Millennium Post, Swamy said he would shortly file his submission in the case.

The incident had taken place on 22 May 1987 and Swamy had sat on fast unto death at that time demanding inquiry into the matter. Later, he had also gone on a padyatra from Meerut to Lucknow.

Swamy, in a verbal submission, requested Additional Sessions Judge Rakesh Siddhartha that he be allowed to move the application against Chidambaram under Section 319 Code of Criminal Procedure [power to proceed against other persons appearing to be guilty of offense].

Around 41 members of the minority community were killed in 1987 after a curfew was imposed to search for illegal arms in the Hashimpura area of Meerut city. Chidambaram was then the minister of state for internal security in the home ministry at the centre. Swamy said that Chidambaram had visited Hashimpura area of Meerut just before the incident in 1987.

The court, accepting Swamy's request, has set the date of 17 August to hear the case.

Talking to Millennium Post, Swamy said that in 1987, the Muslim youth were picked up from Hashimpura by UP Provincial Armed Constabulary [PAC] personnel and were taken by truck to Ganga Canal near Muradnagar. He said that they were ordered to get off the truck one by one and were shot. 'The bodies were thrown into the canal. But some were not shot, they feigned death,' said Swamy. Some of them later turned witnesses to the cold-blooded killing.

Swamy said that Chidambaram had visited Meerut city during the communal tension and even conducted an aerial survey of the area on 14 May 1987.

Swamy said he has also written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that a special probe should be instituted to investigate Chidambaram's role in the incident, failing which he would approach the International Court of Justice.

Swamy said he had come to know about the incident through one of his party leaders who had wept bitterly before him. 'Initially, Rajiv Gandhi had not ordered inquiry into the incident, but after I sat on fast unto death, an inquiry was ordered by the government,' he said.

Twenty-five years after the incident, the case is still going on at the Tees Hazari and the Ghaziabad Sessions Court.
Next Story
Share it