Couple, daughter killed in property dispute

A married couple in their late 20s and their six-year-old daughter were killed by the owner of a small factory and his employee over a property dispute, police said on Friday, adding that the two accused were arrested from the spot.

The attack took place on Thursday night in a factory in Block-A of Bindapur in south Delhi, and police swung into action on a tip-off from a neighbour.

‘Aasit Sahni and his wife Phalguni were stabbed with a pair of scissors, while their daughter Chetna was smothered to death. The incident occurred at a factory in which clothes were stitched and knitted,’ a police officer said.

A police team reached the spot after a neighbour reported commotion, and found the three victims lying in separate rooms in the factory.

Police said Phalguni and her daughter were declared dead as soon as they were taken to hospital. Sahni, who was critically injured in the attack, was admitted to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital but succumbed Friday evening while undergoing treatment.

The two arrested in connection with the attack were identified as Gurdeep, the owner of the factory, and Rehman Ali, a tailor in the same factory, a police officer said.

‘The victims lived in Karol Bagh in central Delhi. The family had a property dispute with Gurdeep, and on the night of the incident, they had come to the factory in Bindapur for talks on the issue,’ Additional Commissioner of Police A K Ojha said. ‘Sahni had purchased a flat at Bawana in north Delhi from Gurdeep, which was registered in the name of his wife, Bharti. Sahni had paid over Rs 2 lakh for the flat,’ Ojha said.

Despite repeated requests, Gurdeep had not handed over possession of the flat to Sahni, the police officer said, adding that the victim had told Gurdeep that he would lodge a complaint with the police against him. ‘That was when Gurdeep seems to have planned to eliminate Sahni,’ a police officer said.

Neighbours said that the factory premises, which Gurdeep has rented, were under dispute too.

M S Gupta, who lives near the factory, said the site had seen controversy in the past too. ‘Two years back, police arrested a few sex workers from there,’ he said, adding that the premises had since been sold.
Next Story
Share it