Millennium Post
Nation

Chargesheet likely to be filed this week

Speeding up legal proceedings in the photojournalist’s gang rape case that triggered nationwide outrage, Mumbai police is all set file a charge sheet against five accused in a couple of days.

‘We are giving final touch to the charge sheet of the gangrape case with whatever evidences we have collected so far. We are working on to file it before a court concerned by Tuesday,’ a crime branch official said on Sunday.

‘If we come across some more evidence at a later stage, we will file a supplementary chargesheet,’ the official said, adding that the state’s legal department had also helped them ensure that there is no loophole in the charge sheet. The move comes against the backdrop of clamour for speedy trial in the case.

The victim was allegedly gang-raped by the five on 22 August evening when she had gone to the Shakti Mills compound with a male colleague on an assignment, police said. On 10 September, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil had stated that Mumbai police would file a charge sheet in a week’s time.

The charge sheet will have the details of the victim’s ordeal, witnesses’ statements, crucial evidence collected from the spot, DNA analysis reports, phone call records and identification parade information, among others, police said.

Police claimed they have more than sufficient evidence against the five arrested accused - Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav, Mohammed Kasim Hafiz Shaikh alias Kasim Bengali, Siraj Rehman Khan and a minor.
Next Story
Share it