Accused of molestation, teen kills self

A 19-year-old boy committed suicide while another attempted to do so after being held for assaulting a 22-year-old girl.

According to the complaint lodged at Mehrauli police station in south Delhi, three boys, students of Nizamuddin ITI,  allegedly assaulted the complainant, who studies in a polytechnic college for women.

The victim narrated the incident to her family after the Vasant Vihar gangrape incident came to light. Her brother Yogesh (name changed) decided to accompany her to college next day. They waited for all the three accused at Lado Sarai bus stand, and as they arrived, the girl pointed towards them. Yogesh managed to nab one of them, who was identified as Chandrakant.

He was taken to the police station, where cops put him under arrest , after he reportedly confessed to his crime of assaulting the girl, along with his two friends, Sonu and Mohit.

Chandrakant was booked under sections 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) and 509 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) of Indian Penal Code.

On 25 December, a few hours after his arrest, Chandrakant was released on bail with a surety from his father, who works in a private firm in Gurgaon. When he reached his residence at Fatehpur Beri in south Delhi, his parents scolded him. Following that, Chandrakant locked himself in his room.

When his father, Suresh knocked the door, he failed to get any response from inside. He broke open the door and found his son hanging from a ceiling fan, a police official said. After the police was informed, cops recovered a suicide note that read, ‘I am guilty of my mistake. No one is responsible for my suicide. Everyone should respect women. I am Sorry.’

The family told police that he was very upset about his mistake and he got more depressed when he was scolded at home.

The very next day, Chandrakant’s friend Sonu to attempted to commit suicide by consuming poison at his residence in south Delhi.

When his brother Rahul noticed him lying unconscious on his bed, he rushed  him to AIIMS hospital, where he underwent treatment and is out of danger. The third accused, Mohit, is still untraceable.
Next Story
Share it