Court seeks Pakistan’s reply on Musharraf treason proceeding

Update: 2013-04-16 00:24 GMT
The Pakistan Supreme Court on Monday sought a reply from the government on petitions seeking former president Pervez Musharraf’s trial for allegedly subverting the constitution and imposing emergency rule in 2007.

The apex court in its interim order asked the government whether or not it wanted high treason proceedings against Musharraf, who returned to Pakistan last month after over four years of self-exile, Xinhua reported.

A two-member bench said the government had not yet replied to the petitions despite issuance of notices last week.

The court asked the attorney general to submit replies by 17 April when the court would resume hearing of the case. Attorney General Irfan Qadir told the apex court that the government had not yet given him any instructions on the case.

Musharraf also submitted his reply through his defence counsel, asking for a full court to hear the petitions. The court had last week rejected the plea from the petitioners to arrest Musharraf. However, it barred him from leaving the country. The interior ministry later put his name on the Exit Control List.

Musharraf is also facing other charges, including the 2006 killing of Baloch tribal leader Nawab Akbar Bugti and the 2007 assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto. Having ruled Pakistan from 1999 to 2008, Musharraf denied all charges and said he would defend himself in courts. He resigned in August 2008 to avoid impeachment by parliament and then went into exile. Last month, the former army chief and president returned to Pakistan after over four years in Britain and the UAE. He is now taking part in the parliamentary elections and plans to campaign for his party.


COPS AS MOLES FOR TERROR GROUPS SHOCKS PAKISTAN


The last thing Pakistani security agencies need is their own people carrying out ‘inside jobs’ on behalf of militants, a Pakistani daily said Monday following the arrest of a police official who supported the Pakistani Taliban.

‘Chilling details have emerged how extremist groups, especially the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), are now using serving policemen to eliminate their colleagues who are deemed as a threat to these anti-state organisations,’ said an editorial in the News International.

The arrest of an inspector of the Anti-Violent Crime Cell in Karachi last week comes at a time when the entire country is on a high-alert because of the forthcoming general elections.

The inspector, who is believed to be a supporter of the TTP, has confessed to killing an assistant sub-inspector and other fellow policemen. The assistant sub inspector who was gunned down in January this year was actively involved in operations against militants.

Similar News