Six members of a family were killed and four others were injured when a van caught fire after its CNG cylinder exploded in Karachi in Pakistan on Sunday, media reports said.
According to sources, the families of Karachi's Garden area residents Saleem and Muhammad Ali were on their way to Hawks Bay for a picnic when a short circuit occurred at the rear of the vehicle, Dunya news reported.
The CNG cylinder fitted in the van exploded, causing an intense blast due to which those travelling in the van did not get a chance to escape and were burnt alive.
Rescue teams saved four injured persons and shifted them to a hospital. They later doused the fire.
The dead include three men, two women and one child. Two volunteer relief workers and two van passengers, 17-year-old Maryam and eight-year-old Shehroze, were among those injured.
The volunteers have been discharged from the hospital after medical aid while the injured girls were still undergoing treatment.