London: French international Paul Pogba could be out of action for three months the Sunday Times reported on Sunday, dealing a huge blow to Manchester United.
The hamstring injury suffered by the 24-year-old — a GBP 89.3 million ($121 million, 105 million euros) signing from Juventus last year — after just 18 minutes in Tuesday's Champions League match with Basel is worse than was thought originally according to a club source.
The source said he faced sitting on the sidelines of anything from six to 12 weeks.
"The injury is really bad," a United source was quoted as saying by the newspaper.
However, the club believe Pogba's injury was a result of the player overdoing his personal training outside of the club's supervision.
"It's not normal for a player respecting our training programme," the source said.
According to the newspaper, Pogba is keen to go to the United States to undergo treatment and rehabilitation with a group of personal trainers he used while on holiday there in the close season.
Meanwhile, Barcelona's record 105 million euro signing Ousmane Dembele is set to be sidelined for up to four months as the club confirmed the extent of the hamstring injury he suffered at Getafe.
"The tests performed on first team player Ousmane Dembele have determined he has ruptured the tendon of the hamstring in his left leg," Barcelona said in a statement on Sunday.
"The player will undergo surgical treatment by Dr. Sakari Orava this coming week in Finland. The expected time out will be between three-and-a-half and four months."
Dembele has made just three appearances for Barca since sealing his move from Borussia Dortmund last month for a fee that could rise to as much as 145 million euros based on performance-related bonuses.