Millennium Post

I am not leaving with selectors' permission, says Nehra

I am not leaving with selectors permission, says Nehra

New Delhi: Just-retired India pacer Ashish Nehra has made it clear that his farewell from cricket was not decided by the selectors and he was the one who took a call on bidding adieu to the game.

"When I started playing cricket, I didn't take any selector's permission. When I am leaving, I am not leaving with their permission," Nehra said after his final game.
The terse statement was in response to a question on chief selector MSK Prasad's comment a few days ago that Nehra had been told he would not be considered for selection beyond the T20 series against New Zealand.
"We have clearly communicated to the player, ie: Ashish Nehra, and to the team management that we are only looking at him till the New Zealand series," Prasad had said.
Nehra walked into cricketing sunset on Wednesday after an 18-year injury-ravaged international career, which had witnessed many highs and lows.
"I heard this," Nehra said when asked about Prasad's comments.
"I don't know. The chairman of selection committee has not spoken to me about this. You have asked me this question, and I can only tell you about my interaction with the team management.
"When I reached Ranchi, I told Virat about my plan, and his first reaction was, 'Are you sure? You can still play IPL. You can play as coach-cum-player.' I said no. I am retiring completely."
The 38-year-old made it clear that he did not ask for a farewell game, calling himself lucky that he got one in front of his home crowd.

Agencies

Agencies

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Share it
Top