logo

No plans of calling it quits after World Cup, says Clarke

No plans of calling it quits after World Cup, says Clarke
Injuries to both hamstrings and his lower back had placed his career in jeopardy last month and he had conceded after the first Test against India in Brisbane that he may never play again. Clarke was subsequently named in Australia's 15-member squad for the World Cup beginning February 14 and asked to prove fitness by February 21.

But, Clarke said he was confident that his problematic hamstrings would heal and he would continue playing, scoffing at speculation that his retirement may be imminent.

“It's funny, a lot of people have said or thought Michael is going to retire at the end of this World Cup. I'm sure I am going to retire at the end of a World Cup, but I don't think it's this one. I’m 33-years of age, look at someone like Brad Haddin who is 37 and still loving his cricket and contributing to the team. I don't see any reason why I can?t play in the next World Cup,” Clarke was quoted as saying by Daily Telegraph on Thursday.

In a positive signal about the Australian captain’s physical and mental shape, Clarke returned to the SCG nets and intends to increase his workload with the pads on again on Thursday.

Agencies

Agencies

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Share it
Top