Top
Millennium Post

NLC workers ignore HC stay, continue indefinite strike

The indefinite strike by more than 10,000 contract labourers of Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC) entered the fourth day on Saturday despite a Madras High Court order restraining them from continuing the stir. The secretary of the Joint Action Committee of 17 trade unions, T Srinivasan (Citu), told reporters at Neyveli in the district that the workers have been forced to go on the agitation by the management and they will file a petition in the High Court on September 8, praying for vacating of the the stay order.

Passing interim orders on a petition by the PSU, the High Court had on Friday restrained the unions from proceeding with the strike till October 7. Srinivasan said that NLC had failed to honour its assurance given to the Supreme Court in April last year on regularisation of contract workers and had been adopting delaying tactics, forcing them to launch the indefinite strike from September 3.

Meanwhile, an NLC bus proceeding to Uyakondaravi village to bring workers was torched by unidentified people on Saturday morning, the policeinformed.

The driver and two other occupants of the bus escaped unhurt and a case has been registered.
Next Story
Share it