Millennium Post

Misuse of funds by NGOs: Rajnath wants quick action from states

Concerned over the misuse of foreign funds received by several NGOs, the union home minister Rajnath Singh on Friday has stressed on need for early implementation of the Immigration, Visa, Foreigners Registration and Tracking (IVRFT) project in the states where it is still pending.
During a meeting, Singh was briefed about the integrated online visa system that currently covers 148 Indian missions and the online foreigners’ registration system inside India has reached 80 per cent. ‘Our minister has ordered officials to complete the rest 20 per cent of the coverage at the earliest,’ MHA spokesperson KS Dhatwalia said.

Early on Friday, Singh reviewed the working of the Foreigners Division (FD) of the ministry of home affairs where he was shown a presentation on Visa Policy Citizenship Act, Foreigners’ Contribution and Registration Act (FCRA) and other areas to put IVRFT into action.

While interacting with the FD officials, he has instructed that all the NGOs receiving foreign grants should to be sensitised about compliance of rules in this regard. He also appreciated the FCRA outreach seminars in different parts of the country.

Earlier on 8 April, Millennium Post has reported on how due to poor governance nearly Rs 15,000 crore of Foreign Contribution (FC) to NGOs and Trusts in India went missing during 2008-10, simply because there were no Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) guidelines for scrutiny of such funding.
In 2010, nearly 21,508 associations received FCs amounting to Rs 10,338 crore and nearly Rs 600 crore in 2008-2009 by 9,750 social welfare groups. However, in these years the CBDT has not issued any circular. In Gujarat alone, nearly 73 trusts which received FCs amounting to Rs 272.35 crore during 2008-10 were not scrutinised by the income tax department.
In the midst of such alarming facts, Singh has stressed on the need to strengthen security while facilitating legitimate travellers and claimed that IVRFT project has now become a must.
His comments come in the backdrop of a report by Intelligence Bureau alleging misuse of foreign grants by NGOs including Greenpeace to obstruct various ongoing developmental projects in India.

MPost

MPost

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Share it
Top