Millennium Post
Nation

Maha ATS to question two Pune blast accused

The special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) Court here Monday allowed Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) to interrogate two accused in connection with the last week’s Hyderabad blasts.

Firoze Sayyed and Irfan Landge, the two accused, are among the eight persons arrested by ATS in connection with blasts on Pune’s Jangli Maharaj road last year.

‘We had sought permission to interrogate Firoze and Irfan in connection with Hyderabad blasts case and the court has granted us the permission,’ said an ATS officer.

Sixteen people were killed and over 118 persons were injured in the 21 February twin blasts at Dilsukhnagar in Hyderabad. Maharashtra ATS are already helping the Andhra Pradesh police and NIA in the investigation of the blasts. On 1 August last year, four co-ordinated low-intensity explosions struck a busy arterial road in the heart of Pune, injuring one person.


NEARLY 40 SUSPECTS QUIZZED  IN DILSUKHNAGAR BLAST CASE


With investigators trying to put together pieces of evidence, nearly 40 people have been questioned by police and central probe agencies for their suspected role in the twin blasts in Hyderabad.

Official sources said 30 to 40 people have been interrogated by sleuths of Andhra Pradesh Police, National Investigation Agency and other central security agencies in connection with the Thursday’s blasts which claimed 16 lives and injured over 100.

Investigators are also verifying reports that five people, who checked into a lodge at Dilsukhnagar, left just before the blasts or immediately after the explosions.

Out of the five people, two have turned out to be innocent. One had checked into the hotel under a fake name. He had checked out a few minutes before the blasts which led to the police to term him as a suspect, the sources said.

During questioning, he told the police that he had checked in with a friend and wanted to keep his identity a secret. The police on verification found that his statement was correct and let him and his friend go.

However, verification of three other persons, who had left the hotel around the time of the explosions, was still on, sources said.

Meanwhile, union minister of state for home R P N Singh said all evidence collected from the ground have been sent for forensic examination and nodal agencies were looking into them.

‘Whatever evidence the agencies have been collected, all have been sent for forensic examination. There are leads and we are looking into the leads,’ he said.

The minister said since investigation was still on, no details could be shared.

‘At the moment we are not sharing in detail but the perpetrators of this barbaric act will be caught and strictest punishment will be given,’ he said.
Next Story
Share it