Top
Millennium Post

Girl dies after shawl gets stuck in generator

Girl dies after shawl gets stuck in generator
X
Kolkata: In a tragic incident, a girl who took part in the procession of immersion of idol died after her shawl got entangled with a running generator kept on an engine-driven van at Gaighata area of North 24 Parganas on Tuesday night.
The victim has been identified as one Malati Das. A resident of Jalaswar area of Gaighata, she left home telling her family members that she wanted to take part in the procession. Some locals organised a puja in the area. They took out the procession of immersion on Tuesday evening. The victim along with many others was present in the procession. In the procession, there was an engine-driven van which was carrying the generator. Malati was going along with the procession with the van by her side when her shawl suddenly came in contact with the running generator. As a result of this incident, Malati was hit against the generator and her head was cut off from her body. The incident triggered tension among the people who took part in the procession. Many others fell ill after seeing the incident from close quarters.
The generator was arranged to illuminate the idol. After being informed, the police reached the spot and sent the body for a post-mortem examination. The incident has cast a pall of gloom on her family members. They told the police that she asked the girl not to take part in the procession but she did not listen to them.
Police have started a probe into the incident. They are investigating if there was any negligence on the part of the puja organisers. The cops are interrogating some of the puja organisers in this connection too. A senior police officer of the district said that it apparently appears to be an accident. He also assured that stern action will be taken against the organisers if any negligence is found in the course of the investigation.
Next Story
Share it