Fire breaks out at abandoned garage in Sinthi, none injured
Kolkata: A fire broke out at an abandoned garage near Gopeswar Dutta Free School Street in Sinthi, late on Wednesday night. No casualty or injuries have been reported so far.
Around 8 fire tenders were pressed into action to douse the flames. After being informed, police reached the spot and cordoned off the entire area. People staying at the adjacent buildings were evacuated by the police to check any untoward incident.
Police said that the garage had remained closed for a long time. Some old cars were there inside the garage when the fire took place. According to the police, the garage was earlier used for dismantling old cars to remove their spare parts.
The incident has sparked tension among the local residents as the area was congested. Even the fire fighters had difficulty reaching the spot due to narrow lanes. Some of the local residents had spotted smoke billowing out of the garage which was locked. The fire soon engulfed the entire area of the garage.
The fire fighters brought the situation under control within two hours. The old cars which were there inside the factory were completely gutted in the fire. According to the preliminary investigation, fire officials suspect that an electrical short circuit might have led to the incident.
The local residents said that the garage had caught fire on two previous occasions. Police are looking for the owner of the abandoned garage.
The exact cause of the fire and the extent of the damage are yet to be ascertained by the police and fire officials. A forensic team also visited the spot on Thursday and collected some samples from the garage. A detailed probe has been initiated.