Fire at Howrah cotton warehouse
Kolkata: A major fire broke out at warehouse full of cotton at Bandhaghat in Howrah on Monday afternoon. Six fire tenders doused the fire after almost three hours.
According to sources, locals at Bandhaghat area on Monday around 12:30 pm, saw smoke coming out of a warehouse where businessmen store cotton on rent. Police and fire brigade were informed. But before could the police or fire brigade could reach the spot, fire started spreading. As the materials inside the warehouse were inflammable, it spread all over the warehouse within minutes.
As there were other warehouses located adjacent areas, locals were panic-stricken. Four fire tenders arrived and fire fighters started operations. Later two more fire tenders sent. Though fire brigade officials planned to use hydraulic ladder while dousing the fire, it became problematic as the area was congested. Fire fighters were trying to control the fire within the warehouse, but the flames had spread in few other small warehouses adjacent to the main warehouse.
Around 3:15 pm fire was controlled. It was confirmed by the fire fighters that no one was stuck inside the warehouses. Few persons sustained minor injuries as they fell down while running away from the fire. It is suspected that the fire broke out due to short circuit.