Millennium Post

1 suicide, 1 failed attempt disrupt Metro services

1 suicide, 1 failed attempt disrupt Metro services

Kolkata: Metro services were disrupted in two separate incidents on Monday, as a woman tried to commit suicide, while a man killed himself by jumping in front of Metro rakes.

A young woman tried to commit suicide by jumping in front of a rake at Central Metro station on Monday morning. As a result, office-goers and school and college students faced immense trouble reaching their destinations.

According to sources, on Monday morning several

people were waiting for the

train to arrive at Central Metro station.

At 8:14 am, when a Kavi Subhas bound rake was entering the platform, a woman aged around 25 years jumped in front of it. Seeing the woman jump, the motorman applied emergency brake and was able to stop the rake in time.

Immediately, a power block was initiated and both Kavi Subhas and Dum Dum bound Metro services between Maidan and Girish Park were also suspended. During the period, truncated services were active from Maidan to Kavi Subhas and Dum Dum to Girish Park.

Soon, Metro Railway staff and Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel recovered the woman and rushed her to Calcutta Medical College and Hospital, where she has been admitted.

According to sources, she has received injuries on her hand. Normal Metro services resumed after clearing the track at 8:40 am.

Passengers have expressed their grievances against Metro Railway authorities for allegedly failing to prevent people from committing suicide at the stations.

However, Metro authorities have claimed that RPF personnel as well as Metro staff always keep strict vigil at the platforms before arrival of a train.

Meanwhile, on Monday night, a youth committed suicide by jumping in front of a Kavi Subhas bound Metro rake at 7:50 pm. Though the motorman had applied emergency brake, five compartments went over the youth. Later, the connection to the third rail was cut off and RPF recovered the youth, identified as Diganta Roy.

He was rushed to R G Kar Medical College and Hospital, where the doctor declared him brought dead.

Normal services resumed from 8:21 pm. During the period, one truncated service ran between Girish Park and Kavi Subhas Metro stations.

Team MP

Team MP

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you

Share it