In yet another sewerage tragedy, two brothers who served as sanitation workers died after inhaling poisonous gases at a city Mall in Anand Vihar. Their father and a fireman were injured and have been admitted to hospital. This is the third such incident in a month and has claimed a total of nine lives.
The incident happened at around 1 pm on Saturday afternoon when 50-year-old Yusuf and his sons Ijaz, 22, and Jahangir, 24, were called in to clear a sewer in Aggrawal Fun City Mall at Anand Vihar, Shahdara district.
"They went to clean the clogged sewer. They suffocated due to gas and collapsed. Afterwards a fireman, Head Constable Mahipal, who went to rescue them too inhaled the gas and hit against the wall due to vertigo." informed DCP (Shahdara) Nupur Prasad.
After the incident, all four were rushed to Hedgewer Hospital where Jahangir was declared brought dead and Ijaz died later. Both Yusuf and HC Mahipal were kept under observation. "We have registered a case under Section 304 of IPC (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) against the management." the DCP said.
Earlier, in July, four persons died in South Delhi's Ghitorni while trying to clean a septic tank. Later, in the first week of August, three people died while cleaning a sewer at Lajpat Nagar.